Kicking Ass and Taking Names

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A Blast From the Past

The last time I listened to Q-101, I was still rocking tapered jeans and I hadn't yet discovered the joys of being able to drive. I try not to listen to the radio too much in general, if only because I am a firm believer that hearing "Laffy Taffy" more than twice a day will cause me to hurt myself or others, and there's no escaping it if you listen to the radio on a regular basis. It will find you.

So imagine my surprise when my co-worker Z, who sits next to me, turned his radio to Q-101 and Ween's "Push Th' Little Daisies" came on. I hadn't heard that song since it came out when I was 13. Yes, it's a completely bizarre song, but I love it! Apparently, the station is doing something called "13 Years in 13 Days," where they play the top 100 songs from every year starting with 1993 through the present.

I am extremely excited by this. I missed 1993, but yesterday I got to hear "Mmm Mmm Mmm" by Crash Test Dummies, Live's "Lightning Crashes" and Soul Asylum's "Runaway Train." Today, 1995, I've been rocking out to Ass Ponies' "Little Bastard," Rusted Root's "Send Me On My Way" and Pearl Jam's "Immortality." I miss Pearl Jam! I miss these songs! I am actually semi-excited to come to work tomorrow so I can hear 1996! I know that's pathetic, but I don't care!

It was in the mid-1990s that I actually started to care about music and develop my taste for what I liked and what I thought sucked (I am aware that "Little Bastard" is not a quality song, by the way, but I hadn't heard it in so long that I kind of liked it when I heard it). It's so cool to be able to hear for the first time in a long time songs that defined my adolescense. I imagine it'll get less cool the closer they get to 2005, but through 2000, I'll be rockin' it old school style with the Q.

4 Comments:

  • Throwing Copper is the definitive album of our generation.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:48 PM  

  • 1996 is truly the year of forgotten alt-rock one-offs. You absolutely should expect to hear the Butthole Surfers' "Pepper" and the Primitive Radio Gods' "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand." If you're really lucky, they might play Spacehog's "In the Meantime," The Folk Implosion's "Natural One" and Geggy Tah's "Whoever You Are."

    After that's all over you can call B96's request line over and over again until they agree to play "No Diggity," "I'm Not A Player" and "Come On Ride It (The Train)."

    By Blogger Erick, at 2:21 AM  

  • You should go see Ween with us next time they come to Chicago- they put on a great show!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:49 PM  

  • i recall that i first heard a ditty known as 'i wish' by a fine gentleman....'skee-lo', i believe? anyway, i recall i first heard this melodious tune at your house, circa '95. we listened to the single (yes, you had the single) over and over and over, dancing around the whole time like the young 14 year old whores that we were....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home