Kicking Ass and Taking Names

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Mario Rocks

Has anybody seen that commercial for Super Mario Strikers where a guy dressed in a giant Mario suit runs out onto a soccer field and throws elbows at soccer players, trips the referee and scores in his own goal? It is hilarious, and it makes me really nostalgic for old school Super Mario Bros. on NES. Mario and Luigi were a big part of my childhood, and several people have messed with them over the years, which I am not happy about. Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo in that shitty excuse for a movie, the people responsible for the crappy cartoon version, and my brother. I will never get over him selling all our old NES games at Funcoland when we were younger to fund his POG addiction. Not cool, Mike. Not cool. POGs were a fleeting trend; Super Mario Bros. is forever. Have some loyalty, for God's sakes. I have to say, to be fair, I was an equal fan of Duck Hunt, but we lost the gun and my dad wouldn't buy us a new one. Jerk. Pointing our thumbs and index fingers like guns at the TV screen Charlie's Angels-style stopped being amusing very quickly. Anyway, I stumbled across this and it made me happy. I especially love the naked one. Any favorite NES moments from your childhood?

6 Comments:

  • I guess I shouldn't tell you about the two SNES systems and original NES that we own...

    Hey, how 'bout that Xbox? :)

    By Blogger Seb, at 10:09 AM  

  • I have old school Nintendo, you know. I also have the duck hunt gun. Or at least, my brother does, and I can easily obtain it because he leaves it at home anyway. I loved Super Mario Brothers 2 the best because the princess could fly. I also loved the power pad, which was totally awesome, especially if you cheated by running with your hands, you could go much faster then!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 AM  

  • The Christmas break we got NES, my dad became obsessed with Duck Hunt. He didn't have to work for two weeks, so he would stay up all night and play. And it was the only game he could beat us at. We used to get really close to the TV and shoot the ducks. But he would draw a line and we would have to sit or stand behind him when we played against him.

    By Blogger Jess, at 4:52 PM  

  • I never had any video game systems growing up. I got to play Mario at the babysitter's house though, so umm that was cool. I could never beat Mario!! Damn him and his doo doo doo doo do do d do, do do do doooo do do do dooo do d dooo.

    Ok that was my favorite part, the little song.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:30 PM  

  • That reminds me, I had this awesome babysitter named Joe Schissler, who was probably 14 at the time, who taught us all the cheats in Super Mario Brothers, like pressing A-Start while the game loaded gave you 110 guys. It was awesome.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:15 AM  

  • so during my busy month of july thus far i've sat down to play the old school favorites, casting aside my many responsibilites.

    one fine afternoon i sat down with super mario 3 to play through every level of every world. i got to the end of world 7, and got tired, so i pushed the NES aside. awhile later, my roommate and a 5 year old boy were wrestling and unplugged it! the shame!

    long story short, 2 days later i sat through the whole thing for about 7 hours to beat it. it was awesome.

    the next day i sat through the first mario to beat it, every level. 43 minutes. done. this awaits you in tempe, az

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home