Kicking Ass and Taking Names

Friday, December 09, 2005

Nothing like a little alcohol to weed out the office pervs

As a general rule, I don't like blogging about work. I am, however, a fan of blogging about the awesomeness of getting toasty with coworkers during a yearly event known the world over as the Company Christmas Party. I'm sure everybody has been to at least one. The worst ones are painful at best, excruciatingly painful at worst. This is usually the case when you work in a small office where most of the employees have no interaction outside of work, so when you do end up hanging outside of work in a social setting, it's muy awkward. You end up having to listen to Louise talk about her cat Snuggles for an hour, and when she mistakes your polite interest for genuine interest, out come the pictures, at which point you have to ooh and ahh at a blurry photo of Snuggles' crap clumps in its litter box when all you really want to do is poke Louise in the eye with your fork and you end up realizing no free meal is worth this torture. But I digress.

I'm actually totally psyched about my office party tonight, though. And yes, I did just use the phrase "totally psyched." I had just started at my company right before last year's party and didn't really know anybody; this year, I'm the coolest kid in the office and everybody wants to be me. Actually, that's not true at all. But I'm at least friendly with several people, and we are all planning on taking advantage of the open bar and making fun of the losers in the other departments. Those bitches in Client Services aint got nuthin on us, yo. We're gonna throw up the Publishing sign when we walk in the door, and they're gonna know what's up. I've dared my co-worker E (he of the out-of-control Chuck Norris love) to request the R. Kelly classic "Bump n' Grind," and then ask our boss to dance. We'll see if he pulls through.

What I'm most looking forward to, though, is watching the American Idol-style talent show that's held at the end of the night. I didn't stay for it last year, but apparently I missed out. There's nothing I love more than listening to a bunch of tone deaf drunks belting out "I Will Survive" and "Achy Breaky Heart." It's so going to rock.

3 Comments:

  • Talent show?! That's aweseome. Although I hope no one here gets wind of this, otherwise I know we will have one! Our Christmas party is today, hopefully I will win for most festive outfit. Did you know that every year, 600,000 people are fired or quit in shame because of events at the office Christmas party? Tis true. Or as true as something I heard on the radio can be!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:46 AM  

  • The pictures on your blog are great!

    Maybe you can have a glass of water in between every alcoholic drink from the open bar. Check yourself before you wreck yourself. Words to live by.

    By Blogger Jess, at 1:31 PM  

  • as i am an almost 25 year old unemployed slacker, i know no such glamorous party of which you speak.

    i do know the end o' semester "let's get drunk, we're still in college" party. except that it's not at the end o' semester. it's more like every weekend. and by every weekend i mean every day.

    is the christmas party anything like that?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home