Kicking Ass and Taking Names

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Nobody Ever Says "I Wanna Be a Television Junkie When I Grow Up."

Or at least, I never did. I always said I wanted to be a regular old junkie. Wanting to be a doctor or a ballerina is so 1995.

But I digress. The point is, I never meant for it to get like this. When I first graduated from college, I barely watched any television. I was working crazy hours and was actually going out and doing stuff with real people, and sitting on a couch and staring at a box for five hours a week didn't really appeal to me.

Flash forward two and a half years later. I am officially addicted to American Idol, The O.C., My Name is Earl, The Office, Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy. Not to mention Reunion, before it got cancelled, and Veronica Mars and Rescue Me, both of which I became addicted to because friends lent me the DVDs, or, in the case of Veronica Mars, forced me at gunpoint to watch. Curse you, Clifford!

Now that I have a DVR, the situation has reached Code Red status. I can watch shows on the new, awesome TV in our living room (big ups to Kristin for that awesome purchase) while recording shows in my bedroom.

Every time a show I was previously addicted to starts a new season, I vow not to watch, not to become sucked in again. This was the case with American Idol, after I realized that watching the Battle of the Ages between Carrie and Bo had sucked about 20 hours out of my life. 20 hours I could have spent tending to my rose garden, caring for sick puppies or doing research on the mating habits of centipedes.

Seriously, though. This is pathetic. Most of these shows aren't even good. In fact, most of them really suck. The only ones I actually think are quality are The Office, V-Mars and Rescue Me. Why, then, do I have a panic attack at the thought of missing one second of Patrick Dempsey and his miraculous head of hair making out with a severely underfed Ellen Pompeo on Grey's Anatomy? Why do I think I might die if I don't find it if Marissa and Ryan did it on The O.C.? Why do I freak out if I don't get to hear "Seacrest, Out!" every Tuesday during AI??

WHY???

I don't know why. But if you hear me talking about wanting to start watching any more TV shows, please punch me in the face.

3 Comments:

  • I just realized I am not as bad as I thought. I am over DespHous, no more Boston Legal. In fact, the only shows I consider must-sees now are VMARS, the O.C. and Seventh Heaven (kind of, and mostly because my grandma and mom will be sad if I miss it). I am not yet sucked into American Idol and everything else I watch is kind of on the basis of if I am home I watch it if not meh. Sorry I sucked you into the world of V Mars but seriously, are you not better off? :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:55 PM  

  • Dwight: Listen temp, I am conducting a little investigation. So I am no longer gonna to be able to head up spring cleaning. Do you think you can handle it?

    Ryan: Yeah, I think I can handle it.

    Dwight: Do you think or do you know?

    Ryan: I think.

    Dwight: Oh God…

    By Blogger Erick, at 1:33 PM  

  • like i said, you have WAY too much time on your hands. the summer of george aside, all i watch is lost and arrested development. (a moment of silence, please...)

    although if we do consider the summer of george that is currently going on, i watch upwards of 20 hours of tv a day. and sleep 10 hours a day. it's some sort of math that even i can't do.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home