Kicking Ass and Taking Names

Monday, March 06, 2006


Hello...Is It Me You're Looking For?

Hello, my loyal readers (all two of you). It's been awhile, no? I've just felt a bit...uninspired. That, and I've spent my normal blogging time sleeping.

But I digress. So last night was the Oscars. For those of you who don't know, I'm a bit of an Oscar freak. I don't know why; they're boring and long, and the awards are usually based more on politics than merit. But there's something about the ridiculousness of it all, how seriously Hollywood takes itself, that I find really amusing. Plus, I'm a whore for analyzing what everyone's wearing.

I was actually pretty entertained throughout the show, which is rare. Jon Stewart did such a great job...obviously, he wasn't going to be as biting as he is on The Daily Show, but he was as hilarious as he could have been under the circumstances. My favorite Stewartisms:

"For those of you keeping track at home, I just want to make something very clear: Martin Scorcese, zero Oscars. Three 6 Mafia, one." (After Three 6 Mafia won Best Original Song).

"Tonight is the night we celebrate excellence in film...with me, the fourth male lead in Death to Smoochy."

"The show has been a little routine so far, a little rote. There's been no controversy...yet. Now there's word the Itzchak Perelman has been finger-synching."

Oh Jon, how I love thee. The whole Three 6 Mafia thing was awesome...the fact that they got to perform the song was awesome enough, but the level of awesomeocity increased ten-fold when they won. I couldn't understand a damn word of their acceptance speech, but I didn't really care.
I wanted to vomit on Health Ledger and Michelle Williams. They are too much cute for one couple. It's not fair.

I was sad that Brokeback Mountain didn't win Best Picture, because I really loved it. And also because I picked it to win in my Oscar pool. But Crash was my second favorite. So I'm over it.

So, other than the cheese/ice cream/Boone's farm blockage I'm suffering from this morning due to a little too much impromptu Oscar-gathering bingeing, I'd have to say it was a pretty successful evening. Now we can all go back to using the weather as the main topic of conversation when forced to make awkward small talk with random people.

3 Comments:

  • Dude, the Oscars were so EXCRUCIATINGLY boring, bloated and self-important (well, isn't that like every year?). Jon Stewart didn't go over well on the audience because Hollywood likes to feel better about itself, and he was calling them out. Like, when 3 6 Mafia won, he said "How come they're more excited than everyone else?" Michelle Williams and Heath Ledger can take their smug married asses all the way back to Brooklyn--THANK GOD for Philip Hoffman. I wish Amy Adams and Matt Dillon won best supporting!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:19 PM  

  • Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:38 PM  

  • i don't think i've ever once watched an entire oscars. does this mean we can be lovers anymore?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home